31 December 2011

Signing Out From 2011

by Diane Carlisle


Closing out the year with these few thoughts that make me thankful I have another year coming.

My son came home after three and a half years in the Army, having endured a year in Iraq. He served in the Infantry of all fields! He is now enrolled in college, studying Information Technology and working full time. I'm so very proud and thankful of his service, but am truly happy that he is home safe.

My daughter and I have become closer than we'd ever been. Her broken heart gave me an opportunity to step up to the plate and show what I really had in me as a mother. We experienced some major bonding this year and I even heard her tell another person that I was her best friend. I'm not one of those moms who try to be the daughter's best friend either. See...I wasn't even trying at something and it just happened. :)

My husband of 25 years had all his CT scans come back clean this entire year! That's cancer free 1/5th of the way! Four more years and it'll be like he never had cancer. How awesome is that?

I've even made major accomplishments for myself that needed to be made. I've given up on striving in my field of study and leaned more toward nurturing my desire to write and opening the pathways to discover what is the right path for me. Sure, my job pays my bills, but it doesn't keep me healthy and lively, not like what I produce when I am writing.

I've joined the Tallahassee Writer's Association, the Florida Writer's Association and I've been accepted into a local writing group comprised of editors, published writers and fellow professionals in the Tallahassee community. My next pursuit is to join the Toast Masters Club here in Tallahassee so that I can brush up on my speaking skills.

Life is good, people! All you have to do is figure out what you like to do and do away with the people in your life who are keeping you down. Follow your dreams. It's not about getting a bigger paycheck, it's about making progress. Sometimes you have to take a step back to make that happen.

Bring on the New Year!

11 comments:

  1. Glad to hear about your writing group. You should really enjoy Toastmasters. It's a lab for practicing...a safe place where you can't screw up. Just do your frigging speeches. I did it and the majority of people just never did their damned speeches.

    Glad to hear, really, that you had a great year. Next year will be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, it sounds like you've have a lot to celebrate. I hope 2012 is a great year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Kelly and Chris!

    The Toastmasters is something I've always wanted to be a part of but I never took the step because I always felt it a step I was not prepared to take.

    I'm ready....I think! LOL P.S. I WILL to my speeches

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad so much good happened in 2011 and hope the trend continues into 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lara. I think 2012 looks very promising. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, your post brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful year full of blessings.

    The part I really related to was "I've given up on striving in my field of study and leaned more toward nurturing my desire to write and opening the pathways to discover what is the right path for me. Sure, my job pays my bills, but it doesn't keep me healthy and lively, not like what I produce when I am writing."

    Boy did you express what I often think. How could we ever put a price tag on the benefits of writing. I'm so happy to find others who understand how I've put things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JoDee, thank you. We inspire each other. :)

    I would not write what I feel if I hadn't been inspired by writers and bloggers who enjoy the things that are important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post and congratulations on everything. I'm very glad your husband is doing well, your son is back and your daughter and you are best friends. How awesome. Also congrats on the writing goal. I gave up the day job last year and it was a great learning experience. So I shop less and write more! LOL My husband was five years in the infantry too. Hats off to the men who protect us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got it! Please give my thanks to your husband for his service.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy that your son came home safely and grateful for his service to our country. It sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for. I hope 2012 will be a good year for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I'm charging into the new year with you all, Deb! :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *