18 December 2012

10 Profound Mistakes Made by RPG Players


Unless you've played RPGs on a regular basis, you may not have experienced all of these or any similar form, but you might agree with me, these are pretty easy circumstances in which to fall victim. Some of these are text based and the rest are from PC games. One scenario would happen in a game I develop (which hasn't happened yet, but oh well). If you're the first to guess which one, I'll send you a free copy of Snow Leopard.



1. You fire your cross bow at a huge skeleton. The arrow flies through the air and darts between the two lower bones of his rib cage, missing the skeleton entirely, and striking the wall behind it. You have no other weapons.

2. You fall down a well. The only "obvious" exit is dragon

You exit dragon


3. You cast a 30-yard range fire storm at a goblin, killing him instantly, but wasting 20 seconds of fire damage on no apparent enemies within a 30-yard radius. After the spell dies out and while it recharges (which takes another 20 seconds), twenty Whiptail Devourers spring from the soil.


4. You stumble upon a trap door. After close inspection, something tells you, it doesn't REALLY look like a trap door, does it?

You open door


5. Before going inside to negotiate with the giant Cyclops, you say to your fighter friend, "Don't worry, I have a high charisma attribute."


6. Your new friend says, "Nothing bad is going to happen. I'm friends with the DM."

You follow new friend


7. You enter into combat with a giant crocodile. It is unusual this creature hasn't gone down yet and you're about to die. You look at your weapon. It is not wielded. You are fighting with your bare hands!





8. You didn't bother to read the room description when you entered the sewer, so you are unaware of the high concentration of methane gas all around you. It is dark.

You light torch


9. In an angry tirade, you tell an Admin to go screw themselves. 


10. Every potion you'd ever had identified turned out to be a healing potion. You are bleeding, but you find yet another unidentified bottle of potion. Why pay a spell caster to identify it? It will still work without being identified.

You drink potion


*Note: Unidentified POISON will still work, too!












20 comments:

  1. Too funny! The "high charisma" made me laugh out loud as I've done the same thing in my own RPG experience...several times!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D

      I itch to push buttons and open doors...AND, I have A.D.D. Go figure, I find myself in a pinch. lol

      I sometimes feel like nobody understands me. Then you stop by and all doubts about humanity are suddenly gone. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. The unidentified potion one was my favorite because dammit I have done that SO many times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done 7 in several games and used elemental weapons against an elemetal of the same element. Luckily I usually notice the health points of the monster aren't diminishing.

    I haven't encountered 2, but I read about a character wielding a vampire lord and striking a player with it in a text based rpg. The glitch ended when he left the room.

    I'll be GM of an Earthdawn campaing some time next year. One player really wants to be an elementalist (fire ball!), he will likely find himself in a chamber which smells funny and has enemies in it. Thank you for the idea :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you're welcome. :)

      Are all GMs evil or what? lol

      Delete
  4. I'm not a gamer but I wanted to drop by to wish you a very happy holiday, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely lost on this one--but--I still wanted to wish you a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diane--me again, lol. Just wanted to say Happy Holidays to you and yours. I hope you have a great holiday week, and Happy New Year, too! Thanks for all of the support this year, and for your unique (and often hysterical) opinion on things (and for giving me someone to chat RPG with!) Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey chica! Thanks for dropping by. Stay safe, too!

      Delete
  7. I don't play video games unless someone invents one called, "Strip Poker With George Clooney" but thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They use to have a software thingy back in 1991-92 called girlfriend/boyfriend. It was an artificial intelligence type entertainment package. With every descriptive word you used, it taught your girlfriend/boyfriend to remember it. :)

      Got to love technology!!

      Delete
  8. See, I don't even know what RPG is but whatever it is, I am quite sure my son would put his head down in shame if he knew I said that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame no more. It stands for Role Playing Game. It's an interactive game in which you (the player) determine the outcome of events based on your actions. That's the best way I can describe it in generic form.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I'm guilty of more than one of these, and usually several times. The more freedom I have in a game, the more liable I am to bring the walls down on my head. :P

    Happy holidays, Diane! Here's to knocking goals down in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J!

      I'm like you, the more freedom, the more likely there will be dire consequences for me and anyone around me. That makes it difficult to gain the trust needed to bond with a group who can assist. lol

      That's why I write now instead of playing RPGs. I now have my sanity back! :)

      Delete
  10. When I see RPG, I'm thinking rocket propelled grendade, but that's due to the genre I write...

    "Crikey! Isn't that croc a beauty?"

    ReplyDelete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *