11 January 2013

It Is Not Okay To Be Okay

When you've had an eventful day, do you ever sit down and ponder the world? I read articles and magazines about our social climate all the time and I'm baffled by how much we've changed throughout the past 20 years. People seem to be more disconnected in an extreme way and it scares me.

These are the things I want to consciously convey within the stories I tell, because these are the things important to me and my understanding of humanity.

Five Okays and Not Okays

It is okay to ask for help, because people are kind when they feel needed.

It is okay to thank someone. How else are they to know they are appreciated?

It is okay to say I'm sorry in private, because forgiveness needs no audience.

It is okay to disagree with one another. The world will not end if we don't all come together like sheep.

It is okay to be considerate of each other's time as it is a precious resource.


It is not okay to dump your mess on someone else. Ask for help instead.

It is not okay to play dumb while others run around explaining things when something goes wrong. Now is a good time to thank them for saving your ass.

It is not okay to check your phone when you've asked someone a question and are now receiving an answer. They could be utilizing their time to help someone who is more respectful.

It is not okay to call a United States service member a murderer when they are out there defending your freedom to call them such horrible names.

It is not okay to argue with one another and try to change each other's minds about religion, politics, or other individual prejudices. Righteousness needs no acceptance. Just walk away!


Years ago, I would be writing things like:

It is not okay to walk on your neighbor's lawn.
It is not okay to cuss or put up your middle finger.
It is okay to keep your hands to yourself.
It is okay to pledge allegiance to the flag.

Gosh, the world has become so complicated, hasn't it?

20 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This is brilliant - what an amazing coincidence. It's okay, Diane. It's okay ...

    And, yeah I guess just going with it is pretty good advice I didn't know I was giving:)

    Have a fabulous weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I think we're thinking alike today. My post deals with how everyone should kind of reflect on how they want to live their day ahead of time. Think before you act, run and trip on something stupid. You are so right Diane. Years ago we wouldn't have thought of this....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Eve! Thanks for that inspirational post too. I needed it! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm always pondering the world, eventful day or not. ;)

    And I'm sad to say that the thought of having to live on this planet for 60 more years scares me, the way people are treating each other these days. I really wish more people would take the words of Henry James to heart:

    “Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with James's words.

      I used to think just turning off the news would help, but now I have to turn off most of the television shows which have turned mean and ugly as well. Thank goodness for Food Network!

      Delete
  4. Yes, it seems life becomes more complicated the more aware we become of the gray areas. I haven't decided if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

    I need to give you your book! I can't find your e-mail, though. Do you want to e-mail me at laschiff(at)ymail(dot)com to collect your prize?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spot on, Sister! Especially on the Thank You thing. I don't know...maybe its a Northeast US thing, but NO ONE says thank you around here. They don't even want to know how you're doing. I try to ask everyone "How are you?" The response I get is "Meh," *walks away." One guy even says "Terrible!" and walks away every time I ask him how he is. Why do I keep asking him? Because it's okay to want to be hospitable regardless of the results.

    And I hate...HATE... it when people try to push their beliefs on me. I am very accepting of everyone's views, until they're shoved down my throat, that is!

    I'll be bookmarking this one to show off!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate negativity at work. That stuff is contagious, so I try and stay away from it. I start out with positive energy on Monday morning and by Friday, I'm exhausted trying to hide from all the negative people.

      Every now and again, I'll run into positive people and we replenish each other's energy levels with positive exchanges just in case we have to battle the negative people who drain us of 99 EP. lol

      Delete
  6. I'm frightened by how disconnected we all are. And perhaps that is the root of it all. If we're not connected, then it's easier to hurt others, brush it aside, suffer no consequence for our actions. When we stop seeing people as people, we lose our humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media is the new television. With television, you only were fed information. With social media, you have the opportunity to infect others when you are depraved.

      Delete
  7. I need help to say thank you and I'm sorry that sometimes we disagree but I'll be considerate and end this comment before I take up too much of your time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to be better at sending thank you cards. With technology today, sending a hand written thank you card has become a lost art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like getting the electronic birthday cards, so a thank you in that form would be okay by me! :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Well, I had to post something, just wish I had something more writerly to say. lol

      Delete
  10. It has become complicated. No doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's why to me writing is so soothing. I can make sense of the nonsensical.

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *