29 January 2013

On The Eve of a Deadline


I just wanted to give you all an update on what I've been involved with over the past six months. I feel like I've neglected my writing of fiction, but it's not for nothing, I promise!

Aside from some highly visible projects going on at work, I signed on to become the Tallahassee Writers Association newsletter editor the middle of last year. Though this position is a voluntary position, I take all challenges which come my way with great seriousness. Therefore, this honor of serving for the past six months has garnered me some valuable experience working with authors, editors, agents, and publishers on all levels. I can't express enough how much I feel privileged to have been invited into this world.

The world I find myself involved with currently is a place where I can dream and be happy. I can produce a product I'm proud to represent. I can bring my technological skill set to an organization who appreciates my input and by its very nature, offers me guidance and acceptance. I started off new, fresh, and with great enthusiasm. I was rewarded with a role in a community which made me grow and fed me with the confidence I needed to continue with my writing passions.

In celebrating my joy for having been involved in this community, I share with you my first publication as Newsletter Editor for the TWA.

Write On! June 2012

So, after this deadline has been met, I'm back to my regularly scheduled program of goofing off about writing!

What are your thoughts, and what have you been up to?


19 comments:

  1. Well done. I have a writing partner now. Just started with her. In fact, I should be doing my writing partner work instead of screwing off on Facebook.

    Nice work, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! The internet is also a major contributor to my neglect of fiction writing, which is something I tell myself I should be doing when not at work at my various roles! :D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane - What a gift you are to TWA! I feel your pain about not having enough writing time. My writing has taken second and sometimes third place to other responsibilities. But eventually I'll return to my memoir writing as you will return to your fiction. You gotta do what you gotta do. YOLO! That's M.R. Street's motto she shared at last month's TWA meeting. You Only Live Once! I like it, but I would also add GYB (Give Yourself a Break)Love you girl, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind, Jenny! I'm going to give myself a break today, in fact. :)

      I'm getting a facial!

      Delete
  4. looks great! very professional :) I have been doing the headless chicken dance lately between the kids and my website

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon.

      Kids and website maintenance don't go well together, but you can make it work! Weekends and 2:00 a.m. bedtimes I recall.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know you were involved in something like this, Diane! Bravo to you! It sounds like you're having a great time being a part of this community. You've inspired me...I want to get involved with something like this now!

    Also, what a great opportunity to network and learn. I'm sure you've gained buttloads of knowledge being a part of the TWA. Congratulations to you on such an awesome experience! I'm glad it's working out so well for you :D!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Randi! My husband calls me a professional student because I'm always wanting to learn new stuff. :D

      I think you have a great writing career ahead of you, randi. Keep it up!

      Delete
  6. Good job, Diane. It's all about balance. Should we expect a glowing face for critique group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roberta! Yes, I will be able to make it to the group meet.

      Delete
  7. Kudos for pitching in to help a community of writers! Sounds like a great opportunity for growth and networking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, J.W. If there's any community worth being a part of, it's the writing community. :)

      Delete
  8. Congrats, Diane! I've been up to edits for me and my clients, promoting Touch of Death and Love All, and plotting a new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on our success with Touch of Death and Love All. Do you have a working title for the new one you're plotting?

      I've just recovered from the flu (or flu like symptoms) which had me in bed with chills and aches all night.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. This sounds amazing! I'd been thinking of doing volunteer work like this, while I'm searching for a job, to get experience and network but haven't seriously looked into it. Maybe I should ;) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Auden. And I'm happy to share. These kinds of experiences will help you grow much quicker than in any paid job you will ever have. What's gained in a strictly voluntary environment? Everyone is pitching in because they love the cause and being part of a successful team which seems to grow on its own because of the nature of giving and sharing.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Diane, you're keeping exceedingly busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, William. But, I'm learning more than I'm producing! lol

      Gotta love what you do to maintain that ratio. :)

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *