16 January 2016

10 Things You Learn When Involved in a High Profile Project

Happy New Year everyone!

So much has been going on in my life these past few weeks that I haven't had the time to scavenge my thoughts long enough to write a post. I also have another class which started last weekend.  The class has been an inspiration to me because it made me reflect on the outcome of a high profile project I had the privilege to be involved with over the past 3 months. High profile to me means anything which can potentially get you fired if you fuck it up.






Because of the success of this project and as a celebration to its closure, I had sent out a survey to 20 people, professionals I know in various businesses, and asked them to provide their answers to the following questions:

What does nobody want to do during a high profile project?
What does everybody want to do during a high profile project?
What types of people want to be involved in a high profile project?
What are some things you've learned when working on a high profile project?

My favorite answers came from several people and I'll share them here. These are the 10 things you learn when involved in a high profile project. Enjoy!

1. Nobody wants to be that person who announces to the entire organization that a project is underway, especially if it's a high profile project.

2. Everybody wants to be the expert, but nobody wants to be the accountable.

3. The persons with the least knowledge are the most helpful (accidentally).

4. The persons with the most knowledge are the least helpful (on purpose).

5. The persons not working on the project are willing to provide feedback. If they like you, the feedback will be positive, and if they don't, the feedback will be negative.

6. While you're learning from your mistakes and growing, those least helpful are stagnating in their own lack of progress.

7. While you're learning from your mistakes and growing, those most helpful are bonding with a team that is grateful for their loyalty.

8. You find out who works best under pressure.

9. You find out how you work under pressure.

After writing down these nine answers, I stumbled upon a quick, closing note for answer number 10!

10. You finally realize who you need on your team and who you don't. I'll take willingness to work over knowledge any day of the week!

I'm a lifetime learner, so I learn something new every day. Just because someone has knowledge doesn't mean they will apply it while working on your team. Boot that mother fucker to the curb and find you some loyalty!  :)



Smiley faceIf you enjoyed this article and would like to receive future articles in your inbox --- Subscribe to our free newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *